Yellowhawk Tribal Health
Yellowhawk Tribal Health, which is the lead agency for the Yellowhawk Rural Health Network has provided health care to members of the CTUIR and other American Indians and Alaskan Natives living in the tribal service area for the past 40 years. Yellowhawk Tribal Health is a fully accredited tribally managed ambulatory health clinic that has been operated by the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation (CTUIR) since 1989. The tribal health center provides outpatient primary health care services to a registered patient population of 3,823 Native Americans. The CTUIR are comprised of three tribes with historic ties to the reservation. These are the Cayuse, Umatilla, and Walla Walla people.
CHI St. Anthony Hospital
St. Anthony Hospital of Pendleton has served Eastern Oregon since 1902. In that year, Sister Mary Stanislaus and the Sisters of St. Francis established a 40 bed hospital funded with the support of local patrons. During the early years of the hospital’s operation medical care was in very short supply and there were few if any doctors available in most communities across the region. Typhoid and tuberculosis were major causes of death with life expectancy being less than half of current rates. To address these needs a school of nursing was established at St. Anthony that continued to operate until 1955. In 1922, a new 75 bed hospital opened on the grounds of the original St. Anthony.
Providence St. Marys Medical Center
The origins of Providence St. Mary hospital cal be traced back to 1863 with the arrival to Walla Wallla of two of the sisters of Providence; Mother Joseph and Sister Catherine. In 1879, Sister Catherine received approval from the Providence General Council to build a hospital in Walla Walla. In 1880, St. Mary Hospital opened and due to high demand one year later was expanded into a 30 bed facility. In 1907 the St. Mary Nursing School opened which trained nurses until 1958. In 1916, the entire hospital burned to the ground. In less than one year, the new St. Mary Hospital re-opened. Providence St. Mary Hospital has always been considered to be a health innovator including offering an early form of health insurance in 1885 and establishing the first regional cancer center in 1990.
Morrow County Health Department
The Morrow County Health Department operates two offices with medical clinics that are located in Heppner and Boardman, Oregon. The Boardman Clinic is open on Mondays and Tuesday and the Heppner Clinic on Wednesday. The goal of the department is to provide professional and confidential public health services, resources, and information with a focus on health, safety, and prevention for residents of Morrow County. Most services provided by the county are based on the ability to pay with no eligible patient denied services.
Umatilla County Public Health Department
200 SE. Third St.
Pendleton, OR 97801
435 E. Newport St.
Hermiston, OR 97838
It is the mission of the Umatilla County Public Health Department to protect, promote, and preserve the environment, health, and well being of all residents of Umatilla County, which includes members of the CTUIR. The department is responsible for creating and maintaining conditions that will keep people healthy. To achieve this goal the department investigates health concerns, works to minimize communicable disease outbreaks, and provides ongoing prevention and health education services. Included in these activities is development of response plans to public health emergencies. An important part of the mission of the department is to partner with public and private health providers and community and government agencies to improve the health of the community.
Blue Mountain Community College
Blue Mountain Community College (BMCC) of Pendleton was established in 1962 following a vote by the residents of Umatilla and Morrow County. In 1965, the college moved to its current location in north Pendleton on a hillside overlooking the city. In 1975, the construction plan for the college was completed. In 1992, BMCC began offering classes in Hermiston, Oregon to support a growing student population on the eastern side of Umatilla County. In 1993, BMCC created a learning center in Milton-Freewater, Oregon and in 1998 a bond measure was passed by the voters to construct a similar learning center in Boardman, Oregon. In 2000, Baker County was annexed to the BMCC district and classes began there in the fall of 2002. In 2015, voters approved a bond measure expanding services in Boardman and Hermiston to include construction of a new agriculture teaching facility on the Pendleton campus.
Lifeways Mental Health Services, which was originally called Malheur County Mental Health, were established in 1964 to serve the residents of Malheur County (a large county of 10,000 square miles in Southeast Oregon). Prior to that time, residents most often had to seek mental health services from a private physician or seek services in Boise, Idaho. In 1997, Lifeways, Inc. was established as a for-profit mental health provider and began serving residents of Umatilla County from offices in Pendleton. Lifeways currently has 200 staff members who provide comprehensive behavioral health services including substance abuse treatment in Malheur County. Services within Umatilla County are limited to mental health services.
Walla Walla County Health Department
314 W Main St
Walla Walla, WA 99362
The Walla Walla County Health Department, which is located at 314 W. Main Street in Walla Walla, is a full service public health department that serves all residents of the county. The department is operated by Walla Walla county government and is accredited by the Washington Department of Health. The mission of the department is to improve the quality of life of residents of Walla Walla County through disease prevention, health promotion, and public health protection. The vision of the department is to empower people to build a healthy, safe, and sustainable community.
Morrow County Health District
The Morrow County Health District is a non-profit special health district that provides numerous services for residents of Morrow County. The health district manages Pioneer Memorial Hospital and Pioneer Memorial Clinic of Heppner. In addition, it operates a medical clinic in the Town of Irrigon and a school based clinic in Ione. Other district services include a county wide ambulance and home health and hospice services located in Heppner. Due to the broad range of services it offers and the high quality of its programs, the District is widely regarded as an exceptional source of patient care for residents of Morrow County and Northeast Oregon. The District joined the OWhN partnership in 2016.
Good Shepherd Hospital
Good Shepherd Health Care System (GSHCS) is a progressive non-profit community health system located in Hermiston, Oregon founded in 1954 by a group of well-minded community members wanting to make an impact on the community by providing health care services in the form of a fully functioning acute care hospital. Accredited by Det Norske Veritas, GSHCS has grown to provide inpatient care, emergency services, same-day surgery, health education classes and events, and a wide range of outpatient imaging and lab services. Additional services include primary and specialty care offered by the Good Shepherd Medical Group, Home Health, Good Shepherd Clinic Pharmacy (with locations in Hermiston and Boardman), Vange John Memorial Hospice, Home Medical Equipment retail outlet, and the Good Shepherd Community Health Foundation.